Screwdrivers, 1/2" Scotch Permanent double stick tape,(This
tape is NON-Destructive and removable), ISO-alcohol or suitable cleaner.
Please take the time to read these
instructions completely before installing.
This can normally be done in less than
an hour, but allow yourself plenty of time so you won't be rushed. Work gently and slowly.
Do not force anything. DO NOT remove the pointers. The pointers can be
gently moved through their normal range of travel with no problems. Do not force them past
their fixed stop positions. Don't worry about the positions of the pointers. When the
engine is started they will assume their correct indication. Be sure the pointers do not
touch the overlay.
These overlays MUST be installed
under DARK conditions to align them with the original gauge markings.
DO NOT USE METAL OBJECTS ON THE
BLACK CLUSTER FACE. They can scratch the surface and render a
white mark at night.
REMOVE THE INSTRUMENT
DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE BATTERY
CABLE. Engine off, Keys removed.
1. Remove inboard and outboard switch pod bezels. Pry gently around
the edges of the bezel. They are held in place with spring clip retainers.
1. Place the tilt wheel in its lowest position. Pry each of the 4
corners of the cluster bezel away from the instrument panel. It is held in place by 4 snap
2. Remove the 10 screws that secure the cluster bezel
to the instrument panel. Pull the bezel towards you then to the left to remove.
2. . Remove the 4 screws that secure the cluster to the instrument
3. At the 2 upper screws holes there are recessed tabs that
must be slightly pried down to release the cluster assembly. Pull it outward enough to
disconnect the electrical harness from the rear of the loosened cluster, then remove it.
3. Remove the 2 screws that secure the cluster to the instrument
panel. Pull cluster assembly toward you to remove.
It may resist until it is free of the connector in the rear.
4. Remove the trip odometer reset knob by pulling it off of
5. Remove the clear lens and black hood by depressing the
snap clips retaining them.
(Be careful not to crack the clear lens.) This is a one piece unit on the
6. Remove the black mask to expose the gauge faces. (1996-1998)
||7. Gently clean each of the
gauge faces with alcohol to remove any residue.
Re-insert the cluster AS-IS back into the dashboard. Connect the electrical connector;
if a 1996-1998 press the cluster firmly in place to be sure connector is fully
ONLY Remove the 2 screws on each side of the tach and speedo hubs..
INSTALLING THE OVERLAYS:
1. Make sure your hands are clean before
handling the overlays.
2. Install only one overlay at a time.
Keep the others in the envelope out of harms way. If an overlay with adhesive on the back
accidentally falls onto another overlay's face, it will ruin it.
3.Do the FUEL and TEMP overlays LAST.
They are the lowest and are susceptible to the upper ones hanging down and touching them
4. Use a toothpick to release a slightly out
of place overlay before the final press down. Never use metal objects on the
black gauge face.
5. Once you apply the tape to an overlay leave
it on. Do not remove it. If it goes over the edge, trim the excess with scissors. More
tape is better, but try to prevent overlapping.
||Connect the Battery cable.
On 1996-1998 models, the tachometer and speedometer overlays do not need
adhesive unless you drive in a very humid area. The screws and black mask should hold the
overlays in place. If in doubt use adhesive. (Do not over tighten the gauge
screws, it can distort the overlay.)
1. Do a test install of an overlay without adhesive tape to
get the knack of slipping it over the pointer and lining it up in the dark with the dash
2. Install the adhesive tape lightly to the rear of an overlay as
shown. (2 strips is OK for the small overlays, but use as much as possible on the
larger ones.) If it overlaps the edge, cut the excess off with a scissors. Do
not remove the tape or you will damage the overlay.
DASH BULBS ON
3. Gently install each overlay over the pointer. Then slide it under
the center hub (as shown), then over and around the small hub extension.
4. Align the overlay to the original gauge markings shining through.
Take your time and be exact. Then "Press Down" firmly all around to set it in
place or re-install the screws. The pointers and hubs must not touch the overlay.
5. Be sure the tach and speedo pointers are
moved back to the zero position. Move the others to any normal operating position.
6. If your Tach and Speedo have a vertical red
line in view below the overlay you can use black marker to hide it.
7. Re-install the mask, black hood, clear
You can polish the clear plastic lens.
Using a plastic polish will restore it to "Like New" condition. Many
brands are available in Marine supply stores. They also work good on plastic soft top
windows. We used "Meguiar's Mirror
Glaze 17 Clear Plastic Cleaner".
Questions, Comments, and Suggestions
welcomed at: email@example.com
All Images and products are copyright ©2009 by
JeepWhiteGauges.com. All rights reserved. No reproduction or use of any of the
images is permitted without our expressed written consent. "Jeep", is
a registered trademark of Daimler/Chrysler Corporation. JeepWhiteGauges.com has no
affiliation with Daimler/Chrysler. The term "Jeep" is used for
identification purposes only. OIIIIIO