|TJ Wrangler 1997 and up
Tools needed: Stubby Phillips screwdriver, 1/2" Scotch Permanent double stick tape,(This tape is NON-Destructive and removable) or 3M Spray Adhesive, Red permanent marker, ISO-alcohol or suitable cleaner..
Please take the time to read these instructions completely before installing.
This can normally be done in less than an hour, but allow yourself plenty of time so you won't be rushed. Work gently and slowly. Do not force anything. DO NOT remove the pointers. The pointers can be gently moved through their normal range of travel with no problems. Do not force them past their fixed stop positions. Don't worry about the positions of the pointers. When the engine is started they will assume their correct indication. Be sure the pointers do not touch the overlay.
These overlays MUST be installed under DARK conditions to align them with the original gauge markings.
DO NOT USE METAL OBJECTS ON THE BLACK CLUSTER FACE. They can scratch the surface and render a white mark at night.
REMOVE and PREP THE INSTRUMENT CLUSTER
Engine off, Keys removed.
INSTALLING THE OVERLAYS:
1. Make sure your hands are clean before handling the overlays.
2. Install only one at a time. Keep the others in the envelope out of harms way. If an overlay with adhesive on the back accidentally falls onto another overlay's face, it will ruin it.
3.Do the FUEL and TEMP overlays LAST. They are the lowest and are susceptible to the upper ones hanging down and touching them during installation.
4. Use a toothpick to release a slightly out of place overlay before the final press down. Never use metal objects on the black cluster face.
5. Once you apply the tape to the overlay leave it on. Do not remove it. If it goes over the edge, trim the excess off with a scissors. More tape is better, but try not to allow it to overlap.
5. Be sure those pointers are moved back to the zero position..
6. Re-install the black bezel, then the clear lens. It is not necessary to remove the cluster again to do this.
You can polish the clear plastic lens. Using a plastic polish will restore it to "Like New" condition. Many brands are available in Marine supply stores. They also work good on plastic soft top windows. We used "Meguiar's Mirror Glaze 17 Clear Plastic Cleaner".
INSTRUMENT CLUSTER DIAGNOSTIC TEST
Press and hold the odometer reset button while turning the ignition key from off to on twice in succession. This starts a self test which lights up all of the installed instrument lamps and and incrementally moves the gauges through their complete range of travel.
Questions, Comments, and Suggestions
welcomed at: email@example.com